The TAF2+ advisory support to Somaliland’s ongoing trade and transit negotiations with Ethiopia aimed at enhancing the technical, analytical and negotiating competencies of key government agencies and negotiators to negotiate and conclude a transit and trade agreement with Ethiopia.
The advisory support started in early 2018 following the investment in modernizing the infrastructure and operation of the Port of Berbera and is currently in the process of being completed.
Implemented by WTI Advisors, the Project conducted a series of tailor-made consultative workshops on matters related to trade, transit, and transport facilitation. The Team of Experts worked closely with members of the Joint Operational Committee to draft a customs transit agreement, a bilateral road transport agreement in addition to a bilateral trade agreement and provided training and coaching to participants on how to defend their interests in the negotiations with Ethiopia.
The team further prepared a database and collection of core resource materials on international trade and investment with over 300 resources on the legal/regulatory, policy-related and economic aspects of trade, transit, and investment.
The Trade and Investment Advocacy Fund (TAF2+) offers support to the poorest developing countries to help them engage in vital trade negotiations.
From 2011-2016, the previous fund (TAF) provided on-demand technical assistance to developing countries. TAF2+, a six-year programme, will build on the previous fund’s successful provision of assistance and increase the technical skills and coordination of trade and investment ministries in developing countries.
- Establish and maintain a demand-led call down the facility
- Help more developing countries effectively participate – to their advantage- in trade and investment negotiations
- Increase the technical skills and coordination of trade and investment ministries in developing countries
- Create a clear focus on using trade and investment negotiations to address poverty and social exclusion
- Take a strategic ‘portfolio’ approach to deliver targeted, high impact interventions
- Use collaborative approaches to maximize the Fund’s relevance and buy-in from partners
- Build sustainability through institutional capacity development
- Focus on results and evidence-based knowledge and learning
- Build value for money into all that we do.
TAF2+ will run over six years with a total programme budget of £14 million. The Fund will have four windows:
- Negotiation Window (£8 million), which will provide short-term technical support to any developing countries during a negotiation;
- Strategic Window (£4 million), that provides medium to long-term technical support to DFID priority countries prior to, and initially after, a negotiation (such as country-level trade analysis and strategy planning);
- DFID Country Office window (£500,000) that provides highly technical trade advice.
- Institutional Support Window (£1.5 million), will provide financial support to organizations that deliver niche trade and investment-related services. This will be managed under a direct grant arrangement with DFID.
TAF2+ brochure Download