Somaliland leader Muse Bihi Abdi used his address on Tuesday, March 22, 2022, at George Washington University to argue for international recognition of the Republic of Somaliland, highlighting its relative peace in a turbulent Horn of Africa.
Abdi is on a tour of the US to meet government officials and businesses to pitch for Somaliland’s independence from the rest of Somalia.
He said the main aim of his trip was to “explain to the people of the United States…their intellectuals, their politicians and their leaders about the case of Somaliland”.
“Our main goal is to get recognition from the international community,” he added.
“But we believe that every long journey starts with one step,” he said.
Somaliland was briefly independent after British colonial rule ended in 1960, joined almost immediately into a union with Italian-administered Somaliland to form Somali Republic, then unilaterally restored its independence three decades later.
- The UNIQUE Case For The International Recognition Of Somaliland
- The World Can Learn From How Somaliland Overcame Militias
- Somaliland: The Little Country That Could By David Shinn
- Somaliland Declaration On The Origin Of African Borders
- Masuuliyiinta Xidh-Xidhan Iyo Dareemada Dhagarta Xambaarsan Ee Laga Soo Werinayo Dhinaca Madaxtooyada
- Somaliland Is A Beacon Of Democracy In An Unstable Region