Divers Marine Contracting LLC started construction of a United Arab Emirates naval base in the Republic of Somaliland.
The Sharjah-based engineering group began work on the project after being awarded the $90 million contract in April, Managing Director Abdulla Darwish said in an interview in Dubai.
The facility, being built near the port of Berbera, is expected to be completed by June, he said.
Berbera is located on the Gulf of Aden, 260 kilometers (162 miles) south of Yemen, where U.A.E. troops in a Saudi Arabia-led coalition are battling Houthi rebels.
Somaliland’s foreign minister said in May that the U.A.E. leased the airport in Berbera for 25 years as part of a pact for a military base.
The Somaliland naval base will include a 300-meter (984-foot) L-shaped inland berthing port with a depth of 7 meters ‘to support the military airport,’ accommodating naval vessels to patrol the Gulf of Aden, according to Darwish.
- The UNIQUE Case For The International Recognition Of Somaliland
- The World Can Learn From How Somaliland Overcame Militias
- Somaliland: The Little Country That Could By David Shinn
- Somaliland Is A Beacon Of Democracy In An Unstable Region
- Masuuliyiinta Xidh-Xidhan Iyo Dareemada Dhagarta Xambaarsan Ee Laga Soo Werinayo Dhinaca Madaxtooyada
- KOIGI: Acknowledge Somaliland To Cure Festering Wound On Africa