|Employment Category: Grade 3 Step 1
Reporting to: Head of Finance
Direct reports: None.
Location: Hargeisa (including frequency of travel for DRC operational locations)
Authorization level: No approval. Only review as per IDRA authority.
Advert No DRC2018/040
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization which has been operating in Somalia since 1997. DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict and natural disaster. DRC programs include Protection, Food security & Livelihoods, Shelter/NFI and Water & Sanitation, The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a protection of human rights framework, DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict and natural disaster. Programmes include Protection, Food security & Livelihoods, Shelter/NFI and Water and Sanitation.
ABOUT THE JOB
Under the supervision of the Head of Finance (HoF), Finance Specialist supports to review the emergency projects, support HoF in budget/budget revisions, forecast/monitoring and other duties as per the job description.
Accounting / Finance
- Review current and completed projects and ensure the correctness of coding of expenses and request for rebooking for wrong posting.
- Review X’s and follow up with Area office Finance staff to ensure advances are cleared within approved time frame.
- Support HoF to monitor actual spending and advice AOM/AOC/Program team to avoid overspend and plan on underspending.
- Work closely with HoF/FC/Area Finance Coordinators to ensure proper budget forecast is done and follow up for all ongoing emergency and other short term projects. (For project that will be implemented in 2018)
- Review all re-bookings before the entries are posted to avoid double re-bookings.
- Conduct documentation verification based on DRC/Donor procedures to ensure all required documentation are in files.
Budgeting and Reporting
- Support to Develop annual budgets for DDG/DRC Somalia offices (Master budget) and ensure all data are accurate.
- Review donor budgets from area operation offices & support AOM/AOC and Finance staff on same.
- Prepare budget forecasting for all project with assistance from Country Finance Specialists and monitor same on monthly/quarterly basis and advise Technical Managers/Head of Programs on variations.
- In coordination with Grants and Compliance department follow up on audit/compliance, implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc.,
- Conduct compliance audits based on donor/DRC guidelines.
- Minimize financial risks by ensuring that DRC/DDG financial policies and procedures as set in Operations Handbook and any other CO/RO/HQ instructions are strictly adhered to through predefined effective internal control system.
- Check on the completeness, accuracy and validity of information regarding payment documents during field visits & during review of scanned vouchers.
- Technical support to Program/Technical Managers.
- Support Head of Finance/Finance Manager in any other Finance work including for DRC ERP implementation, as and when requested/required.
|Experience and technical competencies:
- At least three-four year’s work experience in field of finance/accounting/book keeping in an NGO or the commercial sector.
- Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas).
- Experience in preparation of Donor reporting for Danida/SIDA/USAID/EU/UN donors will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of donor guidelines for ECHO/EU/SHF/USAID and UN donors.
- Experience in audit/compliance reviews.
|In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: you focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
- Collaborating: you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: you take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: you act in line with our vision and values
- University degree in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration or four-five years DRC/DDG experience in Finance/Accounting work combined with Diploma/Technical certificate in Finance/Accounting.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in local spoken languages.
- Finance staff
- Program staff
- Human Resources
- Procurement and Logistics
- Head of Program/Technical Managers
- Implementing Partners
- Regional Office as requested by HoF
- Any other Relevant stakeholders
|TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Availability: June, 2018
- Other terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for National staff,
- This position is open to Nationals ONLY.
Interested & qualified candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit their updated CV and a 1-page Cover letter clearly stating their motivation and why they are suited for the post to email@example.com with the subject heading “FINANCE SPECIALIST” not later than 11th June 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the written test & oral interview.
(DRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer)