|Employment Category: Grade 3 Step 1
Reporting to: Head of Finance
Direct reports: None.
Location: Hargeisa (including frequency of travel for DRC operational locations)
Authorization level: No approval. Only review as per IDRA authority.
Advert No DRC2018/040
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization which has been operating in Somalia since 1997. DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict and natural disaster. DRC programs include Protection, Food security & Livelihoods, Shelter/NFI and Water & Sanitation, The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using the protection of the human rights framework, DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict and natural disaster. Programmes include Protection, Food security & Livelihoods, Shelter/NFI and Water and Sanitation.
ABOUT THE JOB
Under the supervision of the Head of Finance (HoF), Finance Specialist supports to review the emergency projects, support HoF in budget/budget revisions, forecast/monitoring and other duties as per the job description.
Accounting / Finance
- Review current and completed projects and ensure the correctness of coding of expenses and request for rebooking for wrong posting.
- Review X’s and follow up with Area office Finance staff to ensure advances are cleared within approved time frame.
- Support HoF to monitor actual spending and advice AOM/AOC/Program team to avoid overspend and plan on underspending.
- Work closely with HoF/FC/Area Finance Coordinators to ensure proper budget forecast is done and follow up for all ongoing emergency and other short term projects. (For the project that will be implemented in 2018)
- Review all re-bookings before the entries are posted to avoid double re-bookings.
- Conduct documentation verification based on DRC/Donor procedures to ensure all required documentation are in files.
Budgeting and Reporting
- Support to Develop annual budgets for DDG/DRC Somalia offices (Master budget) and ensure all data are accurate.
- Review donor budgets from area operation offices & support AOM/AOC and Finance staff on the same.
- Prepare budget forecasting for all projects with assistance from Country Finance Specialists and monitor the same on a monthly/quarterly basis and advise Technical Managers/Head of Programs on variations.
- In coordination with the Grants and Compliance department follow up on audit/compliance, implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc.,
- Conduct compliance audits based on donor/DRC guidelines.
- Minimize financial risks by ensuring that DRC/DDG financial policies and procedures as set in Operations Handbook and any other CO/RO/HQ instructions are strictly adhered to through a predefined effective internal control system.
- Check on the completeness, accuracy, and validity of information regarding payment documents during field visits & during the review of scanned vouchers.
- Technical support to Program/Technical Managers.
- Support Head of Finance/Finance Manager in any other Finance work including for DRC ERP implementation, as and when requested/required.
|Experience and technical competencies:
- At least three-four year’s work experience in the field of finance/accounting/bookkeeping in an NGO or the commercial sector.
- Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas).
- Experience in the preparation of Donor reporting for Danida/SIDA/USAID/EU/UN donors will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of donor guidelines for ECHO/EU/SHF/USAID and UN donors.
- Experience in audit/compliance reviews.
|In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: you focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
- Collaborating: you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: you take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values
- University degree in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration or four-five years DRC/DDG experience in Finance/Accounting work combined with Diploma/Technical Certificate in Finance/Accounting.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in local spoken languages.
- Finance staff
- Program staff
- Human Resources
- Procurement and Logistics
- Head of Program/Technical Managers
- Implementing Partners
- Regional Office as requested by HoF
- Any other relevant stakeholders
|TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Availability: June 2018
- Other terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for National staff,
- This position is open to Nationals ONLY.
Interested & qualified candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit their updated CV and a 1-page Cover letter clearly stating their motivation and why they are suited for the post to email@example.com with the subject heading “FINANCE SPECIALIST” not later than 11th June 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the written test & oral interview.
(DRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer)