Job Advertisement: Protection Officer – Hargeisa, Somaliland
Employment category: Grade 5 Step 1
Reporting to: Program Coordinator
Direct reports: None
Location: Hargeisa with Frequent travel when needed
Authorization level: None
Advert No DRC2018/043
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization which has been operating in Somalia since 1997. DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict and natural disaster. DRC programs include Protection, Food security & Livelihoods, Shelter/NFI and Water & Sanitation.
ABOUT THE JOB
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Somalia Program is seeking for Protection Officer who is Somali national & will be based in Hargeisa. The Protection Officer will be responsible for the direct implementation of Overall activates of health related sector of the grant awarded from UNHCR to DRC implanted by Hargeisa Group Hospital and work closely HGH in identification of refugee that need health attention and refer them to the appropriate specialist.
- Identify cases for medical attention and represent them
- Maintain databases utilizing Access, Excel and other software under minimal direction.
- Provide guidance to the Service provider the UN guidelines and standards
- Monitor and support the health referral program and ensure feedback relating to key public health data is provided to operational partners, UN agencies, Ministry of Health (MoH), NGO partners and other relevant sectors (protection, community services etc.) to ensure a multi sectoral approach.
- Ensure that referrals are timely, appropriate and that agency guidelines are strictly followed.
- Produce timely reports for internal use on the ongoing activities of the project.
- Encourage the participation of community members throughout health promotion activities.
- Participate in UNHCR led field health coordination Meetings and liaise with UNHCR focal points and other organizations working in the field of health in the area assigned
- Advocate people with chronic illness and present their needs in the weekly case panels
- Prepare SitReps and maintain the confidentiality of the cases.
Required qualifications and experience:
- At least 3 years’ experience in implementing and overseeing Refugee Health programs with a INGOs or UN agency, ideally in disaster or complex emergency settings with a minimum of 1-year experience in emergency response or humanitarian relief context
- University degree in public health or health-related discipline.
- Training in public health data collection and management would be an asset.
- Excellent knowledge in Arabic and English Language is a requirement for this position. since the incumbent will work with Refugees with different ethnicity
- Proven ability to work well with, and relate to, people at all levels and from diverse cultural and educational backgrounds, and maintain a high standard of personal conduct.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
- Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Availability: July, 2018
Other terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for National staff,
The position is open to Nationals ONLY.
Interested & qualified candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit their updated CV and a 1-page Cover letter clearly stating their motivation and why they are suited for the post to drcjobs.sl@DRCSOMALIA.ORG with the subject heading “Protection Officer” not later than 19th June 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the written test & oral interview.
(DRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer)