The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization which has been operating in Somalia since 1997 & it initially founded in Denmark in 1956 & currently working in more than 30 countries throughout the world.
DRC fulfills its mandate by providing direct assistance to conflict-affected populations – refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs) and host communities in the conflict areas of the world; and by advocating on behalf of conflict-affected populations internationally, Internationally, DRC actively participates in supporting the protection of refugees and promoting durable solutions for conflict-affected populations.
About The Job:
The Area Manager will provide leadership in the design, delivery, and quality of DRC programs/projects in the area and would be responsible for compliance to DRC policies and procedures. S/he shall be responsible for the planning and implementation of safety procedures/protocols within the area & ensure the safety of all staff and assets.
As DRC’s primary representative and line manager of all staff in the area, the Area Manager (AM) is responsible for the coordination, management, development, and representation of DRC programming in the area. S/he will oversee program implementation according to DRC strategies in the area and ensure that operations are implemented within DRC’s regulations, procedures, guidelines, and strategy; enable a productive and accountable relationship with beneficiaries, communities’ leaders/representatives, relevant governmental authorities, donors, national and International NGOs and UN Agencies.
- In consultation with the SMT, Lead the strategic development of the Area/field offices and ensure that DRC/DDG remains relevant to the needs of the beneficiaries in the region.
- Ensure DRC/DDG projects in the area remain aligned to DRC/DDG global strategy and Regional/Country SPD.
- Represent DRC/DDG at all relevant forums in the area & liaise with local authorities & different stakeholders.
- Ensure that the reputation of DRC/DDG in the area remains high and issues of concern are raised with Country Director in time.
- Positively contribute to the teambuilding efforts and ensure that effective coordination exists between program and support teams at area & country level.
- In close collaboration and consultations with the Deputy Country Director/Heads of Programs/DDG Program Manager/Head of Support Services, ensure program strategy and delivery is up to date and well resource in the Area office.
Program & Project Management
- Supervise effective, efficient and timely implementation of all projects according to agreed contracts, budgets, and donor requirements.
- Provide clear and coherent guidance to DRC’s multi-sectoral emergency and longer-term projects in the area.
- In consultation with DCD/HoPs/DDG PM/HoSS, prepare project work plans in accordance with annual planning and funding cycles with support from the technical managers and the Heads of Programs;
- In close consultation with the MEL Manager, ensure that relevant beneficiary data is collected, compiled, analyzed and distributed and those relevant assessments are conducted in the project area.
- Monitor budgets in coordination with area program leads to ensure there is no overspending or underspending and flag any issues with SMT in a timely manner.
- Provide regular area information on programme activities, policy matters and external relations, based on agreed formats and schedules;
- Assist in implementation of DRC’s M&E plans for the projects and ensure complaint handling mechanisms are in place in all projects and promote accountability concepts.
- Oversee preparation of program portfolios by area teams for presentation at Area quarterly meetings and identify opportunities for new projects in coordination with Country program teams (DRC/DDG).
- Ensure that DRC’s program policies as enshrined in the program Handbook and other program manuals are followed.
- Manage all area program managers and coordinators and ensure all program leads have clear work plans in place and are following them.
- Quality control and monitoring of key result contract performance indicators in their areas.
- Coordinate with DRC DCD/HoP and DDG PM/HoP on technical gaps and support from technical Sector managers/coordinators/specialists staff.
- Manage DRC/DDG staff and resources in the area and coordinate with Technical sector managers/coordinators/specialists as it may be required.
- Ensure that the activities of support teams are carried out in compliance to DRC policies, procedures, and operations handbook.
- Ensure all key staff functions (program and Support) are adequately staffed, including minimum yearly requirements for both program and support staff and budgets are available for effective management of area/field offices.
- Ensure that monthly technical and support function reports are sent timely to the CO senior management team/RO.
- Lead on all financial management, Area master budget management and maintain efficient financial control, and tracking, including donor reporting. Monitor and analyze financial risks in line with the financial procedures handbook.
- Oversight and management of the Bank Accounts including deposits, withdrawals, preparation of bank reconciliations and revision/negotiation in regards to bank charges on a yearly basis.
- Proactively engage in proposal budget development, implementation and revision as may be required and requested from the program team and CO finance.
- Directly responsible for control on procurement and management of supplies, vehicles, assets & stock and ensure necessary systems in procurement and logistics are in place and continuously followed.
- Manage IT and communications systems in the area (laptops, printers, telephone and other means related to information and communication technology), with the support of IT officer & coordinate with CO IT department.
- Ensure that the national staff policies – instruments and systems – are in place and adhered to.
- Ensure that HR activities (recruitments, onboarding, performance) are effectively managed. Coordinate with CO HR team on technical matters or for support.
- Ensure that national staff are continuously developing their ability to fulfill job descriptions and acquiring new skills as much as possible through internal and external trainings.
- DRC Safety protocols are implemented in carrying out all activities in the area and adequate measures are in place to mitigate any potential risk to office, staff & assets.
- Continuously review the security situation in the area and coordinate with country safety team on all matters related to safety & security.
- Ensure standard procedures and legal formalities are complied with when using the services of third-party agencies or contractors.
- Ensure DRC/DDG Area operations comply with all local labor laws and legislations
To be successful in this role, we expect you to be a positive, mature leader with a proven track record of developing effective initiatives, programmes, and impact. You thrive in managing a wide range of responsibilities, and can effectively communicate and lead the country team. You enjoy working with teams of committed staff to build collaboration and capacity within the regional programmes and building strong relationships with the regional team.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
- Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including the ability to adapt well to local cultures
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
Qualification and Experiences
- Minimum 5 years of work experience in a similar or equivalent role in an INGO/UN agency in areas of humanitarian/development sector, in a conflict & post-conflict environment.
- Advanced University degree.
- At least 5 years of experience in managing large and diversified teams consisting of national & international staff.
- Strong hands-on experience of managing safety & security in a high-intensity conflict zone.
- Experience of proposal development for multiple donors and in-depth knowledge of project management and all aspects of the project cycle.
- Demonstrated experience in representation with donors & external actors and managing emergency response.
- Experience with strategy development and understanding of the linkage between strategy and programming. Experience in advocacy and communications.
- Basic understanding of conflict resolution and peacebuilding programming.
- Excellent writing and reporting skills.
- Interpersonal Skill: Ability to work with departmental heads & technical manager to ensure smooth work operations
- Time management Skill: being able to achieve operational objectives within set deadline.
- Fluency in Written & spoken English.
DRC encourages all qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of nationality, race, gender or age.
Availability: 1st November 2018
Duty station: Hargeisa
Reporting: This position reports Country Director
Duration: 1 Year with possibility of extension subject to funding and Performance.
Contract: As per National staff salary scale and terms of employment.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework into the work of DRC (http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html)
Qualified candidates are invited to access the full job description and the requirements for this position under vacancies at www.drc.dk. Please submit applications online using this link by Saturday 11th August 2018 @04:30 PM EAT.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
- The UNIQUE Case For The International Recognition Of The Republic Of Somaliland
- Somaliland: The Little Country That Could By David Shinn
- The World Can Learn From How Somaliland Overcame Militias
- Somaliland Declaration On The Origin Of African Borders
- KOIGI: Acknowledge Somaliland To Cure Festering Wound On Africa
- Somaliland Is A Beacon Of Democracy In An Unstable Region