Police in Somaliland have arrested a man at an airport as he tried to smuggle 200 lizards to Egypt, they said on Tuesday.
It was not immediately clear why the suspect was illegally exporting the reptiles, the police and wildlife authorities in the country said.
“It is illegal to export Somaliland’s wildlife because they (can) become extinct,” said Gelle Hassan, a communications officer with Somaliland police.
The arrest was made at Egal airport in the country’s capital of Hargeisa, the police said. The reptiles, which were wrapped in clothes and hidden in bags, were handed over to the ministry of environment, they said.
Previous seizures of illegal trafficking of wildlife have involved birds, officials in Somaliland said, adding that this was the first case involving reptiles.
- The UNIQUE Case For The International Recognition Of Somaliland
- The World Can Learn From How Somaliland Overcame Militias
- Somaliland: The Little Country That Could By David Shinn
- Somaliland Declaration On The Origin Of African Borders
- Masuuliyiinta Xidh-Xidhan Iyo Dareemada Dhagarta Xambaarsan Ee Laga Soo Werinayo Dhinaca Madaxtooyada
- Somaliland Is A Beacon Of Democracy In An Unstable Region