In this edition: Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari confirms he’s seeking a second term in office, ending months of speculation about his future after bouts of ill health. Also, Dr. Edna Adan Ismail, a former foreign minister of Somaliland, joins us in the studio to discuss statehood and healthcare. And we bring you a report from an ultramarathon in the Sahara.
Be the first to know – Join our Facebook page
Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari has confirmed that he’ll be running again in next year’s elections. The 75-year-old is hoping to get the backing of the ruling APC party to seek another term. Last year there were concerns about his fitness for office after he spent months out of the country being treated in London.
Also, we meet Dr. Edna Adan Ismail, a former foreign minister for the Republic of Somaliland, a former Somali first lady and a renowned activist working to improve health care and education in her homeland. She has a particular focus on stopping female genital mutilation. We talk to the trained midwife and stateswoman about her country and her activism.
Be the first to know – Follow us on Twitter @Saxafi
And our reporter brings us a story on three women participating in this year’s “Marathon des Sables”. The grueling ultramarathon spans 251 kilometers across the Sahara desert.
By Georja CALVIN-SMITH,, Yena LEE
- The UNIQUE Case For The International Recognition Of The Republic Of Somaliland
- Somaliland: The Little Country That Could By David Shinn
- The World Can Learn From How Somaliland Overcame Militias
- Somaliland Declaration On The Origin Of African Borders
- KOIGI: Acknowledge Somaliland To Cure Festering Wound On Africa
- Somaliland Is A Beacon Of Democracy In An Unstable Region