Abdi Mohamud Omar, president of the Ethiopia-Somali Regional State of Ethiopia has resigned from his post as president of the region following an extraordinary meeting of the regional party, the Ethiopian Somali People’s Democratic Party (ESPDP), the regional communications affairs office head Idris Ismael told The Reporter.
Abdi will be serving as the chair of the ESPDP, it was learnt.
In his place, the deputy president and head of the regional Water Resources Bureau, Ahmed Abdi, has been appointed to serve as acting president.
It is to be recalled that the conflict in the regional capital, Jigjiga, and its surrounding have claimed lives, while residents’ houses, businesses, government institutions as well as churches have been set on fire.
In a related development, in a statement he gave to the state media, Ahmed Shide, the Federal Government Communications Affairs Office head, up on a request made by the regional government the National Defense Forces will take over the security of the region and the regional security forces will cooperate.
- The UNIQUE Case For The International Recognition Of The Republic Of Somaliland
- Somaliland: The Little Country That Could By David Shinn
- The World Can Learn From How Somaliland Overcame Militias
- Somaliland Declaration On The Origin Of African Borders
- KOIGI: Acknowledge Somaliland To Cure Festering Wound On Africa
- Somaliland Is A Beacon Of Democracy In An Unstable Region