On Sunday 27th January, it was decided by the CONIFA Executive Committee that the 2020 CONIFA SportsBet.io World Football Cup will be hosted by Somaliland.
Somaliland is an independent state in the Horn of Africa, which is not recognized by any other country. It declared sovereignty in 1991.
The Somaliland Football Association was founded in 2011 and represents Somaliland and Somalilanders living around the world.
The decision to award the tournament to Somaliland followed a non-binding vote at the CONIFA AGM by CONIFA member associations, where Somaliland was supported by the majority as a potential host nation.
The award of the CONIFA SportsBet.io World Football Cup 2020 to Somaliland is subject to a successful site visit, to be undertaken by members of the CONIFA Executive Committee in March 2019.
- TCAS Incident Highlights Ongoing Issues In Somaliland And Somalia Airspace
- 3 Emirati Soldiers, One Bahraini Officer Killed In Attack In Somalia
- Implementing Ethio-Somaliland MoU Crucial To Bolster Regional Development, Security: HPR Standing Committee Chair
- Brexit Britain Edging Closer To Surprise Diplomatic Move To Help End Houthi Red Sea Crisis
- Eliot Wilson: Recognize Somaliland As An Independent Nation
- Joe Biden Pushed To Follow UK Lead In Recognizing Somaliland, An Essential Ally In Red Sea Houthi Crisis