The White House released photos of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo shaking hands with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, marking the highest-ranking U.S. official to visit the pariah nation since 2000.
At the time of the Easter weekend visit, Pompeo was director of the CIA and awaiting Senate confirmation to become secretary of state. The meeting was a major step toward a planned meeting between Kim and President Donald Trump, which is scheduled to take place in the coming months.
The White House released the photos after Pompeo was confirmed Thursday to his new post.
Then-Secretary of State Madeleine Albright was the last U.S. official of equivalent rank to visit a North Korean leader when she met Kim’s father in 2000.
- The UNIQUE Case For The International Recognition Of Somaliland
- The World Can Learn From How Somaliland Overcame Militias
- Somaliland: The Little Country That Could By David Shinn
- Somaliland Is A Beacon Of Democracy In An Unstable Region
- Masuuliyiinta Xidh-Xidhan Iyo Dareemada Dhagarta Xambaarsan Ee Laga Soo Werinayo Dhinaca Madaxtooyada
- KOIGI: Acknowledge Somaliland To Cure Festering Wound On Africa